RE: current limit on 48 VDC

Title: RE: current limit on 48 VDC

Greetings,

In previous power distribution systems my experience was similar to the suposition Rick expressed.  That is that we have to satisfy two ends:

A). To insure a reasonable and reliable level of available power without overloading the power source;
B). To meet safety requirements in a fail safe manner;
will likely require a two stage approach.

For Case A some form of electronic current limiting with a sharp knee using some active device (e.g. FET or three terminal regulator).  But as Roger points out silicon on a line is hazzard for failure (zap!).  Therefore we employ a second limiter (e.g. big resistor, PTC, fuse) in order to meet safety regulatory requirements for fail safe in preventing overloads, fires, etc.

There's my 2.

Arlan

P.S. Tennis?  My knees can't take it no more!