From: Paul Moore [mailto:pamoore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2000 9:42 AM
To: DOVE,DANIEL J (HP-Roseville,ex1)
Cc: DTE Power
Subject: RE: Presentations for 802.3af

Dan,

I was kind of intrigued by your observation about the "simple resistor
detection scheme" below. I believe research is showing that due to variation
in cables, board construction, manufacturing methods,
time/temperature/tolerancing variations, etc. that the "simple resistor" is
really a range of resistances that need to be detected. This results in the
need for a relatively sophisticated discovery circuitry such as the
microprocessor and A/D being used on the current prototype. Interesting
issues around this then arise such as conducted noise from the
microprocessor resulting in radiated noise on the cable, susceptibility to
radiated noise picked up by the cable, what happens during ESD discharges,
etc. Interestingly enough, Rick's tests show the resistor detection
prototype to be noisier than the diode detection prototype for radiated
noise. I'm really interested to see how many more counter-intuitive results
are presented in Tampa. Sorry you can't be there to enjoy the sunny (we
hope) weather.

\Paul

Paul B. Moore

Hardware Engineering Manager