RE: Doing Nothing About Anything?

Hi Roger,

You may have already received a package from the generous Mr. Hank Hinrichs
who indicated to me that he is going to be providing a set
of inductors to various members of this committee that can be used
to inject power into a mid-span connection that should support
1000BASE-T operation.

I know that you would like to see 1000BASE-T supported, and I would
like to see mid-span, so perhaps we can both perform similar tests
to the ones you presented in Irvine to determine whether a -20dB
return loss injected at the mid-span will impact performance in a
measureable way.

I would recommend using these 20uH inductors with a set of 1uF
high SRF caps in series on the line to isolate the DC from the
switch.
                          1uF
       4>-----------------| |-------+-------------140m?---->4
                                    )
                                    )
Switch                              }---- DC+              DTE

       5>-----------------| |-------+-------------140m?---->5
                          1uF
                          1uF
       7>-----------------| |-------+-------------140m?---->7
                                    )
                                    )
Switch                              }---- DC-              DTE

       8>-----------------| |-------+-------------140m?---->8
                          1uF
The DTE device can take power from the center taps of its GigT
transformers per your earlier measurements.

Of course, it would be nice to measure the actual 2-port
parameters of the injection device as well. I appreciate your
offer at the meeting to assist in this and hope you can find
time in your schedule to help out.

Thanks,

Dan Dove
HP ProCurve Networks