RE: Discrete, mixed, and integrated multi-port solutions

Peter,
See my comments bellow.
Yair.

	[Yair Darshan]  for 350mA continuous we will need 1A rating (stress,
reliability, peaks etc.)
>  Implementing very rapid and rather sophisticated (e.g.,
> dual-level or dual-rate) overcurrent protection on an integrated MOSFET is
> not very hard these days.  Good design practice also would thermally
> protect
> the MOSFET(s) integrated onto a monolithic device.  This gives the
> safeties
> of slow overcurrent protection, short-circuit protection, and overpower
> (overtemp) protection.  The added cost for these functions id not zero,
> but
> it gets lower every year, while remaining very elusive if not impractical
> on
> a "standard" discrete MOSFET.  I agree that 80V is a minimum number for
> BV(dss).
> 2.	Cost is a very different thing from either price or value.  In some
> cases, an external discrete MOSFET will yield the lowest-price, or better
> still, highest-value solution.  But in many cases, the design time, the
> board space, and/or the simple issue of qualifying and inventorying
> components from a number of different vendors makes the value - and
> therefore the price - of even a slightly more expensive fully integrated
> solution greater than any savings which might practically be realized in a
> quasi-discrete circuit implementation.  By way of crude comparison, I can
> build a pretty good op amp with 5 transistors and 5 resistors, which comes
> out to less than 10 cents in component cost.  But each of those 10 parts
> will cost 4 cents to place on a board, and the board area consumed will
> vastly exceed that of a 20 cent SOT-23 op-amp, which I can get from any of
> number of companies.  Which is the lower parts cost?  Which is the better
> value?
	[Yair Darshan]  I agree. However this example is not suitable to our
case.
	 1. We are talking about 1 components vs two components.
	2. pick and place cost for high quantities is 1 cent. thus it is not
relevant to our discussion.
	3. We have to weight example as close as possible to our case : a
chip with mosfet /mosfets or a chip with external mosfets.
	4. From layout and PCB routing point of view, and specially for a
12-24 port switch, the area near RJ45 is critical and needed for the data
hardware.
	    Routing of traces near RJ45 is important for getting data
integrity. Thus the multi port chips will be far from this RJ45 or will be
located on 2nd PCB floor.
	    It means that locating the chips in area A and the mosfets in
area B can help optimizing the routing of traces. this chips and mosfet are
	    working at low frequency/DC.

> 3.	The functionality which an integrated device can subsume into
> itself, and the degree of MOSFET monitoring and protection which it allows
> at minimal extra effort, vastly exceeds anything which could be done in an
> 8-pin IC alone.  That's one way of looking at it.  A better analysis was
> given by my colleague Bruce Inn, who is more aware of the process details
> for IC fabrication than I am.  I will say this, though: the digital
> revolution has made almost all of us into "mixed-signal" houses.  The
> question is simply whether we take our principal value-added from analog
> or
> digital expertise.  If the function requires digital, digital will be
> found
> that will do the function, at a reasonable cost (remember the first
> digital
> watches?  Pulsar.  Using Integrated Injection Logic).
	[Yair Darshan]
	I agree.

> 4.	Having worked with the Taiwanese on board layout, I will
> respectfully take issue with you on this point.  The Taiwanese do not LIKE
> surface-mount parts, as they would much rather be able to stand a device
> up
> on a single-sided PCB.  And, if possible, to run at least one trace
> between
> each two leads of that device.  The last refuge of the DIP package (Delta,
> Lite-On, AcBel, PhiHong).  We are looking at a "skim-the-cream" industry
> today.  But I anticipate that very soon the 802.3af standard will mostly
> be
> accommodated by Taiwanese and PRC vendors, or we will be back to wall
> warts.
> 5.	Good layout always involves tradeoffs.  This may in some cases force
> a quasi-discrete, or at least multi-chip solution, whether or not a single
> chip multi-port device would otherwise be desirable in the application.
> No
> contest on this point, my friend.
> 6.	I hate to do this, but I refer back to my Statement #2.  Cost,
> Price, and Value.  Density, Inventory, Vendor Qualification, Design Cycle
> Time.
	[Yair Darshan]  I agree. But the bottom line is what will be the
final solution cost after integrating all the factors above.
	                        Can we have numbers of similar cases to
compare?
> 7.	One additional point: A device carrying on-board MOSFETs intended
> for the PSE market would have those MOSFETs purpose-built to fit the needs
> of the application, no more, no less.  This would facilitate having the
> proper specs MOSFET specs out of the box for leakage at temperature,
> leakage
> at voltage, R(on), and thermal resistance.  I probably missed some, but
> you
> get the idea.
	[Yair Darshan]  I agree.