RE: Potential heating problem

I found this data relating minimum PCB conductor trace width for 1A current
carrying capability on the internet.  It was originally abstracted from
"Reference Data for Radio Engineers," Howard W. Sams & Co.,  Page 5-35,
Sixth Edition (ISBN 0-672-21218-8 ).  I cannot vouch for the data here, as I
don't have my copy of that book  here at work with me (it's in a box at home
- but I can find it, or borrow someone else's copy, if that's desired...).

For 20 deg C rise @ 1A:
1/2 oz 0.010 "
1 oz 0.005"
2 oz 0.002"
3oz 0.001"

For 60 deg C rise @ 1A:
1/2oz 0.007"
1oz 0.003"
2oz 0.001"

We are looking for a 175mA/trace current carrying capability.  So if we
allow a 20 deg C  rise, and use a factor of 0.333 (my own ballpark guess) as
a multiplier for the necessary trace width, this rough estimate says that
the absolute minimum trace width for the conductors should be (0.333 x
0.010") = 0.0033".  Call this 4mils to be conservative, and it looks like 5
mils is probably OK even with unplated 1/2 oz copper.

As you can tell, this is not my area of expertise, but I believe the data is
out there to make some pretty well informed decisions.

Comments, anyone?

Peter Schwartz
Applications Engineer
Micrel Semiconductor