Re: [802.3af] RE: Startup and PD input cap
- To: Yair Darshan <YairD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Dave Dwelley'" <ddwelley@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Yair Darshan'" <YairD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Karl Nakamura'" <karln@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Donald S. Stewart'" <dsstewart@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Rick Brooks'" <ribrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Lynch, Brian'" <brian_lynch@xxxxxx>, "'Peter Schwartz'" <Peter.Schwartz@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'scott_burton@xxxxxxxxx'" <scott_burton@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Steve Carlson'" <scarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'rk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <rk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'mike_s_mccormack@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <mike_s_mccormack@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'bruce.inn@xxxxxxxxxx'" <bruce.inn@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'henryhinrichs@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <henryhinrichs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Jetzt, John J'" <jetzt@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [802.3af] RE: Startup and PD input cap
- From: R karam <rkaram@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:03:14 -0700
- Cc: "'stds-802-3-pwrviamdi@xxxxxxxx'" <stds-802-3-pwrviamdi@xxxxxxxx>
- In-Reply-To: <E41E8344567CD411A71A00D0B723EDA594D727@SUN>
- Sender: owner-stds-802-3-pwrviamdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Now I thought you would be home partying by now, what are
you still doing at work (laughs)
all right, I think the right answer may lie somewhere between Yair and a bunch
of us who beleive in our own story, that is to Inrush in the PD or not to inrush in the PD.
and so at the time I thought the 50uf was a compromise of live and let live .
So Yair wants that increased now (the capacitance) . I think it would be nice to find
a way to prove that we could setup a PD designer to fail without inrush- or cause grief
of any kind. we can not test every possibility obviously (if this was a case of Yair's Box or
mine -system and pd ) it would be easy, this is Yair's box and Mine vs the rest of the world's PD's.
the big question is :
can we think of a single case where we cause grief and grief is interoperability problems like
Dave was saying, failure to power up, oscillating) .... without inrush in the PD, if we can set
up such a case prove it in the lab, then we may be done.
if I have enough time, I shall do some of this.
so far I managed to repeat Rick's noise's measurements and we agree on most of it,
there are some that require measuring (uv- common mode case) so the fun never ends.