RE: [802.3af] RE: Startup and PD input cap

All,

I realized that many of us have already shared the opinion about this issue.
For whatever it worth, I would like to pitch in my 2c here, too:

	1.  If we can make all the ports turn on simultaneously, why
necessitate the 8 sec wait?
	2.  Integrate 8 ports into a single IC seems like a good idea, but
why stop there?  How about 16 ports?
	3.  Putting a single 1J pulse  on an SO-8 package is marginal
(considering worst case ambient temperature).  Putting 8J on an IC limits
the package choice to only a few.  Putting 16J on an IC is out of the
question.
	4.  System with multiple ports already has to struggle with size and
heat removal.  Adding 48J onto a 48 ports system is indeed quite a burden.
	5.  Having inrush limit PD ensures that the voltage at the terminal
of the PD will be well behave during power up.  It will simplify the
isolation switch's UVLO design.  I will also prevent the classification
current source from turning back on because the PD voltage will remain above
30V.

	I would vote for having both inrush limit on PSE and PD with the
inrush on the PSE is set higher than that in the PD.  This approach offers a
more predictable behavior in the PSE/PD interface and add to the robustness
of the standard.

BR's

Thong Huynh