[802.3af] nanosecond timing over Ethernet++

All,

Relative to tight synchronization between stations,
such as Ethernet speakers in the root.
A couple points of interest:
  1) Point-to-point connections have the capability
     of synchronizing devices at the nanosecond level,
     as long as the out and back links have about the
     same delay-per-meter.
  2) To do (1) might require a distinct physical layer,
     which acknowledges the presence of point-to-point
     links, rather than a broadcast bus.
  3) 802.17 may develop the protocols that implement (2).
     In concept, one could migrate 802.17 into the home.

I think that the lack of a physical layer support would
always limit the achievable worst-case accuracy.
Statistical averaging isn't necessarily acceptable in
high-fidelity audio, if the worst-case is orders
of magnitude worse.

I don't particularly favor placing the synchronizing
pulse on the voltage supply, since power distribution
has enough problems already. Some form of 802.3
packet-signaling enhancements (supported by the MAC)
seems more appropriate. Probably useful to the customers,
although accurate network timing and good QOS are
likely to be perceived as threats by IEEE 1394 zealots.

DVJ

David V. James, PhD
Chief Architect
Network Processing Solutions