From: owner-stds-802-3-pwrviamdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-stds-802-3-pwrviamdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Geoff Thompson
Sent: Tuesday, 31 July, 2001 11:01 AM
To: Tony Bayley; Raymond.gass; 'WM'
Cc: stds-802-3-pwrviamdi@xxxxxxxx; Tony Jeffree; bob.grow@xxxxxxxxx; davel@xxxxxxxxxxxx; David_Law@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [802.3af] clocking over Ethernet

Gentlemen:

The work of this group is limited by the "Scope" and "Purpose" of the PAR for P802.3af:
6. Scope of Proposed Project
Define methodology for the provision of power via balanced cabling to
connected Data Terminal Equipment with 802.3 interfaces. The amount of power
will be limited by cabling physics and regulatory considerations. Compatiblity
with existing equipment will be considered.
7. Purpose of Proposed Project:
To provide power for a new class of devices with 802.3 interfaces enabled by
progress in silicon technology. These devices are characterized by low power
requirements and LAN connectivity.
Your proposals go well beyond these limits and, rather than being a benign add-on to existing twisted-pair Ethernet, would be a radical change to the entire asynchronous nature of Ethernet as it currently exists. It is very clearly not an appropriate addition to the current project. for P802.3af which is about power.

If you feel that trying to add synchronous timing to Ethernet networks is an appropriate proposal for an amendment to the IEEE 802.3 Standard then the proper method for pursuing this is found at:
        http://www.ieee802.org/3/rules/rules.html
See section 7.1

At best, such a project would only give you timing control within Ethernet links and across Ethernet MACs. The transit time of information across Ethernet switches and routers is completely outside the scope of IEEE 802.3.

Please move this discussion to another venue.

Sincerely

Geoff Thompson

|================================================|
| Geoffrey O. Thompson                           |
| Chair IEEE 802.3                               |
| Nortel Networks, Inc.  M/S SC5-02              |
| 4401 Great America Parkway                     |
| P. O. Box 58185                                |
| Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185  USA                |
| Phone: +1 408 495 1339                         |
| Fax:   +1 408 495 5615                         |
| E-Mail: thompson@xxxxxxxx                      |
| Please see the IEEE 802.3 web page at          |
| http://www.ieee802.org/3/index.html
| To download your FREE copy of Std. IEEE 802.3  |
| http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/802.3.html

At 02:56 PM 7/31/01 +0100, Tony Bayley wrote:

I would also like a method of achieving synchronisation to a few
microseconds via ethernet.  However The power supply in power over MDI
is not a good way to distribute timing information.  Typically only the
devices at the very edge of the network will be powered via MDI.  The
hubs, switches, etc nearer the network core are unlikely to be powered
via MDI, so the network-edge powered-devices will be in discrete groups
clustered around their own PSE, with no universal power over MDI
connectivity between them.  Timing information distributed along with
power over MDI, in this scenario, would only allow synchronisation of
the PDs attached to a single PSE, and would not be scalable to larger
networks.

Tony Bayley
Principal Hardware Engineer

-----------------------------