Re: [802.3af] Category 6 cabling

Paul

I believe 100BASE TX is written to Category 5. The same I believe is true
for GigE. Cat 6 and 7 aren't written into either spec... so I don't know if
the IEEE has a charter to address this (them?) directly, but is likely
deemed 'out of scope' since a non-conformant infrastructure is being used
in either case...

I could be wrong here though

At 09:57 AM 5/15/2002 -0700, McMillan, Paul wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>As a follow on question that I made earlier, Has anyone been faced with
>potential warranty issues from cabling manufacturers? Specifically,
>manufacturers referencing channel to channel certification being voided if
>power is applied over the cabling infrastructure. This is specific to a
>category 6 wiring implementation.  This leads to a more obvious question
>which is everything I have read on the 802.3af specification references
>category 5 cabling. I assume the category 6 or 7 cabling is addressed.
>
> Regards
>Paul McMillan
>Solutions Architect
>CCDA
>Siemens Enterprise Networks
>Penn-Jersey Region
>RNET 590-3527
>Outside (610)-660-3527
>
>> This message and any attachments are solely for the use of intended
>> recipients. They may contain confidential information to Siemens. If you
>> are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received
>> this email in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution or
>> copying of this email and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you
>> have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete
>> the message and any attachment from your system. Thank you for your
>> cooperation.

*************************************
"People generally demand more respect for their own rights than they are
willing to allow for others"

James M. Polk
Senior Consulting Engineer
Office of the CTO

Cisco Systems
2200 East President George Bush Turnpike
Richardson, TX  75082 USA
w) 972.813.5208
f)  972.813.5280
www.cisco.com