RE: [802.3af] Contradiction in Table 33-5

Hi Mike,

1.  Table 33-5 item 1 specify the output voltage at Power On state which is
normal operating conditions.
    Further more, it is specifying line and load regulation as described in
33.2.8.1 which is the "additional
    information" for item 1.
    At this point it is very clear that we are discussing about normal
operation due to the fact that line and
    temperature regulations applies only at normal operating mode.

    And if this is not enough, look at item 2 that's define the range of
Vport which is item 1 at normal
    operating loads which is 0.44W to 15.4W.

    In addition, item 3 defines the ripple and noise under normal load
conditions.

    And last, item 4 defines the max current values under normal conditions
so items 1,2,3,4 describes
    the normal conditions.

2.  Items 10 and 11 define short circuit condition which requires you to
limit the current.
    WE DO NOT need to say that under this conditions Vport may be lower than
44V.
    This is the physics and physics doesn't require additional definition in
the spec. It is redundant.

    If it helps you in any way, we can add a text to paragraph 33.2.8.1
saying explicitly that "Vport may be lower than 44V during
    current limit condition as specified in items 10 and 11."

3.  The need for current limiting is also specified in paragraph 33.4.2
"Fault tolerance" page 69 line 31 at draft 4.2:
     "The PSE PI shall withstand without damage the application of short
circuits of any wire to any other wire
       within the cable for an indefinite period of time. The magnitude of
the current through such a short circuit
       shall not exceed I LIM max as defined in Table 33–5,item 10."

4.  I agree that figures 33c.4 and 33c.6 are in the informative section and
are not part of the standard however they reflects the text
     in table 33-5 and the relevant sections in 33.2.8.

     Further more, the standard in paragraphs 33.2.8.5, 33.2.8.6, 33.2.8.7
33.2.8.8 and 33.2.8.9 send you to see those drawings
     to make sure that the reader will understand the text as the poet meant
to say.

     If it help, we can copy drawings 33c.4 and 33c.6 to  paragraph 33.2.8.

5.  Why current limiting is required?

     Because after 4 years of discussion and testing and simulations and
many presentations from chip vendors and system vendors
     and above all to meet IEEE802.3af objectives which is to protect the
infrastructure, we specified the need for the current limit function.

     It is true that after getting to the point of 450mA or so and
shutting of the port you meet some of the above requirement however HOW you
differentiate between
      real event of short circuit or current transients that generates false
overloads? The only way to overcome this is to filter this events by NOT
      responding quickly to any event but to limit the current and wait TBD
ms and then to decide. The TBD ms was chosen to be 50ms to 75ms in table
33-5 item 11.

     The list of the scenarios that generates false overload was presented
and tested and was the base on which we build the spec.

     Please not that the above required behavior is not new, any power
supply meet this and the PSE port was specified in such a way to emulate
     the behavior of standard power supply output.

6.  In addition, You are required to support Inrush current capabilities
between 400mA to 450mA for 50ms min, 75ms max to a PD with up to 180uF at
its input.
     Inrush current limiting is required by the standard. Inrush current
during startup is exactly the same condition like facing short circuit.
     In both cases you need a current limiter, that's why we specified the
same numbers for max current and time for inrush current during
     startup and during short circuit to simplify the design because in any
case you need this hardware.

7.  Stating from your question: "Why PD current spikes, Ripple over 400mA,
PSE voltage steps require current limiting.  PDs aren't allowed to exceed
400mA at any time"
     It is true that PDs are not allowed to take more than 400mA but what if
it is faulty PD that put a short as a load? You need to limit the current.
     You ask why to limit? I can just turn OFF the port right? but when you
are going to turn off the port after 1us? BAD you are too sensitive, any
current spike will turn on your protection circuits, after few ms, possibly
yes, we specified 50ms min. 75ms max, as explained in 5.

"Ripple over 400mA": this is not the issue here, it is handled by the
overload definitions.
"PSE voltage steps require current limiting": PSE voltage steps can be
generated by the PSE or by The PD loads. They generate current spikes.
 The current spikes can be 10-15A for few us or up to 450mA for 30ms or so.
to cover all that range you have to take the worst case.

Yair.