100TX using "Cross Over UTP CABLE" limitation

hi,  I'm seeking an information about the length limitation using  an "cross
over UTP" cable to connect two PC in a workgroup LAN.
I'm able to achieve this using an one-meter length "cross over" cable with
two 3com Fast Etherlink 10/100TX network card. But the speed became very
very slow if it's connected an 100 meter length cable (throught the wall
connector). I just want to know if this is the problem with the extension
cable or because of the limitation about the length of the cable I can use
under this scenario.
By the way, I am able to use the extension cable to browser each other with
good speed under 10mb speed.

Many Thanks

Victor Zhou
MCSE & CNA