Re: Crossover cable

Mike-

It is not in the spec but is an unfortunate reality of the marketplace for
connecting two like stations or hub-to-hub connection where neither hub has
an MDI port (as opposed to MDI-X).

The point is that we cannot damage equipment when a cross-over cable is
correctly or incorrectly inserted into the link.

Geoff

At 03:48 PM 10/5/99 -0400, Mike_S_McCormack@ne.3com.com wrote:

>The only reference that I can find to crossover in cabling in the 802.3
>specification is in a sentence that such wiring is beyond the scope of
>802.3.
>
>Should I assume therefore that there is no specification for crossover
>cables?

|=========================================|
| Geoffrey O. Thompson                    |
| Chair IEEE 802.3                        |
| Nortel Networks, Inc.  M/S SC5-02       |
| 4401 Great America Parkway              |
| P. O. Box 58185                         |
| Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185  USA         |
| Phone: +1 408 495 1339                  |
| Fax:   +1 408 988 5525                  |
| E-Mail: gthompso@nortelnetworks.com     |
| Please see the IEEE 802.3 web page at   |
 http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/index.html