compliance...

Joerg,

Considering that there is no standard, it would be a false claim by any
company that they have a standard compliant part.  Until the standard is
ratified, all parts are considered "pre-standard" and therefore cannot
guarantee compliance with the standard.  1000BASE-X (802.3z) had a number of
"pre-standard" products in the market.  Some were fortunate enough to be
compliant with the standard, yet others were not so fortunate.

Cheers,
Brad

IEEE P802.3ae (10GbE) Editor