Re: no compromise?

Joerg-

As you say, "Theoreticly it should be possible to do
mid span phantom powering as well. This might require more effort in the
magnetics and eventually (but probably not) some signal conditioning."

But there is a long way between theory and practice.
There is currently very little margin in a Class D link for new elements.
Every new element that is introduced into a link has losses and mismatches.
In the cabling community the competition for the exisiting margins is
already oversubscribed by legitimate factions with very real needs.
Only some of these are:
         Modular furniture manufacturers who wish to use 25-pair (or
higher) cable
         Modular furniture manufacturers who wish another connector in the link
         Hand held tester manufacturers who want testing margin
         Category 6 cabling manufacturers who want improved performance in
new product and have backward compatibility with Category 5 and
interoperability between manufacturers.
         Anybody who wants to put another connector in the link including
802.3af.

We have not seen any sort of rigorous worst case analysis on this yet on
the basis of just doing what WE want to do much less integrating it with
these other legitimate needs yet staying compatible with the installed base
of 100BASE-Tx.

Geoff