RE: Signal vs. Idle debate (was: Here's a new idea)

Dan

I too will answer concisely below

At 10:28 AM 5/8/2000 -0700, DOVE,DANIEL J (HP-Roseville,ex1) wrote:

>(Hi All, I am re-sending this with the comments )
>(clearly identified.. my previous response to the)
>(HTML format did not come out readable. Sorry )
>( Dan Dove )
>
>Mr. Polk,
>
>I will try to address your points consisely.

I'll bet that powered patch panel cost more than that switch, or at least very close if with a high density of ports on both

>>   Devices that expect power on either pair are just being
>>  built -- therefore
>>  just bought -- therefore nothing is old or existing
>>  regarding this coming
>>  Standard. If the switch manufacturers cannot build a new
>>  switch module with
>>  power on that module -- shame on them.
>>
>The question is not "IF they can do it", it is "should they be
>forced to do it"? The committee decision to require mid-span
>support says "no".

I'm not stating that the powered patch panel be dropped. Sorry I you read my emails that way.

>>   Companies are already doing it and those that don't won't
>>  sell too much
>>  product. Period. This is a fact.
>>

>I disagree. I believe that those who apply power at the switch are
>burdening the cost of the switch for a limited number of
>applications. Those who rely on a patch panel power distributor  are
>actually allowing the customer to determine which ports to provide power to
>and keeping their switch investment optimized.
>
>Isn't this element of the debate moot? The committee has already decided
>that mid-span insertion is a "must".

Point above -- powered patch panels should be specified.

Question though, in the Telecom closet that your office or cube gets Ethernet connectivity from.... how much room is there for an additional co-located Powered Patch panel? It could end up needing to be one for one ports to the number of desktop computers you have in your facility. Do you at HP have rack space for all those patch panels....

I honestly don't know your situation.... I just know a lot of Cisco customer situations (which are rather numerous)

If it's from the switch that is built of the same size -- rack space isn't an additional *very real* burden on those customers.

>>  As a point of reference towards past work the IEEE did: 802.1p/q made
>>  everyone purchase new Ethernet switches because no one had
>>  built their
>>  existing Switches with the ASIC capable of those additional
>>  bytes to the
>>  Ethernet Header. This too is a fact. Period.
>>
>But people ARE providing VoIP capability in their current products and their
>customers should be able to take advantage of that capability at the least
>cost.

Again -- I'll bet the product your company builds will likely cost in the low 5 figures minimum -- especially if the port count approaches more than 75 ports. Is that considered least cost? I'm not sure either -- but I'm leaning towards that not being too cost effective; plus with the additional cost of out of band management (cause it cannot be in-band) and the limited amount of rack space.....

>>  So your argument that the IEEE should (basically) only ever
>>  adopt what
>>  doesn't impact the existing installed base is a fairly foolish
>>  justification, IMO. And as far as cost of implementation is
>>  concerned --
>>  this one cost customers a lot. Now -- I'm personally glad
>>  the IEEE did do
>>  this work, there are great benefits to it.
>>

>Pardon my foolish concern for my customers, I guess we will
>have to disagree about their best interests. I recommend that you
>have a nice cup of tea and relax. We can debate this matter without getting
>to the point of calling each other foolish or unrealistic.

Dan, perhaps I shouldn't have stated it in that way. I should have only implied it

>>  Back to this topic, what will be engineered is power into
>>  existing Ethernet
>>  Switching Chassis with new modules purchased by that new technology
>>  customer.
>
>I have no dispute with those who wish to offer that as a solution. I am
>arguing that we should not impair the data pairs for 10/100T or REQUIRE the
>customers to toss out their very efficient and cost-effective VoIP capable
>switches. Standards should be designed to provide flexibility for the
>customer.
>
>>  I haven't done the numbers -- but for those that have a
>>  small fixed Ethernet
>>  Switch in a closet (<50 ports) -- I'd be surprised if building a cost
>>  effective external 'mid-span' power insertion device for
>>  those installations
>>  were the norm, not the exception. Companies will build new
>>  'stackable' or
>>  'fixed' or 'non-modular' chassis that will supply DTE power.
>>  If you don't
>>  believe that's true -- wait and see. I'll bet there will be many many
>>  offerings by many vendors by the time this 'Standard' is ratified.
>
>If you wish to perform the numbers regarding the justification
>for mid-span versus switch-based power insertion, I would be
>very happy to review and comment on your presentation.

That's competitive info and you know if -- so I'll pass.