10/100/1000 "4578" power

JR,
Perhaps I did not understand your question fully...
However, the attached schematic is one possibility for 10/100/1000 with power on the
legacy "spare pairs". (we should just call them forty five seventy eight)

For 10/100 versions, the transformers shown on pins 4,5 & 7,8 would become tapped inductors,
or resistors, or even shorts.

- Rick Brooks

At 10:57 AM 05/12/2000 -0700, you wrote:

>You guys keep getting on Roger, but you still haven't articulated a
>solution for providing power for 1000BASE-T links.  If I open the latest
>version of the 802.3 specification published by the IEEE, there aren't any
>unused pairs.
>
>JR
>

>At 06:29 PM 5/11/00 -0600, DOVE,DANIEL J (HP-Roseville,ex1) wrote:
>>
>>Roger,
>>
>>I have to confess. I am getting confused. In your earlier post you
>>suggested using 12,36 for switches and 45,78 for mid-spans, then
>>when I raised the question of whether you were conceding that it was
>>better to use 45,78 for mid-span, you went back to stating that we
>>have not shown 12,36 in the mid-span to be a problem which suggests
>>that you are moving away from the earlier position.
>>
>>Your justification that some customers have only two pairs is valid,
>>but it has been decided to be insufficient to gain consensus in the
>>committee. Continuing to raise it is unlikely to turn the tide of
>>support for a 4-pair solution.
>>
>>If we are to have a solution, I believe it should be only ONE solution
>>that works in either the hub/switch, mid-span, or desktop-wall-wart
>>applications.
>>
>>While I can appreciate your desire that the committee approve a solution
>>that supports Cisco's recently introduced product implementations, the
>>simple fact is that when you rush a solution out in advance of the
>>standards, you take a risk that your solution will not be compatible.
>>
>>This has been proven time and again. I can think of many proprietary
>>solutions that were functional, but were not standardizable due to
>>implementation constraints that were favorable to their designers, but
>>not to the industry as a whole. This is a natural outgrowth of the limited
>>review that proprietary specs receive.
>>
>>Using the data pairs and a differential detection scheme seem to be at odds
>>with the objectives of our committee because they add risk and complexity to
>>the "must support 10/100T" and "must support mid-span
>>insertion" objectives.
>>
>>I have yet to see how someone would suggest that you can send differential
>>signals from a mid-span location down only one half
>>of the link and determine whether it is ready to accept power. How do you
>>isolate the other half of the link to prevent it from interfering with your
>>differential response?
>>
>>In contrast, it seems intuitively obvious that one can inject a
>>DC common-mode voltage onto one end of the link and evaluate the I/V
>>characteristics that the load represents. Since it it DC, it will be easy to
>>filter to reject noise emissions and induction.
>>
>>But lets not rely on one person's intuition, I wholeheartedly agree that
>>scientific measurement and analysis are the best method for deciding our
>>direction.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>
>>Dan Dove
>>HP ProCurve Networks