Re: power delivery question from Liaison report

Rick,
Thanks for raising the issue of the "48 VDC max" statement in the liaison
report. I assume it is in error (i.e., is not the MAXIMUM but is intended
as a nominal) but we need someone to confirm this. I took a quick look to
see if I could find an ISO/IEC JTC 1 standard that addresses this voltage.
Scanning the ISO/IEC 11801 "Information Technology - Generic Cabling for
Customer Premises", I found no mention of anything but breakdown voltage,
i.e., no safety/fire related voltages and no mention of 48 volts or
anything close to that.

The 10 watt per pair limit and the 175 mA per conductor current limit the
liaison report states,  would be compatible with 57.14 volts, which seems a
reasonable upper limit. My view is the upper limit should be about 56
volts.
Regards,
Don Stewart

--
Donald (Don) S. Stewart				Phone: 732-817-5495, FAX x4666
Soon to be: Avaya Communication 		e-mail: dsstewart@avaya.com