From:   Mike_S_McCormack@ne.3com.com [mailto:Mike_S_McCormack@ne.3com.com]
Sent:   Thursday, July 20, 2000 10:04 AM
To:     stds-802-3-pwrviamdi@ieee.org
Subject:        RE: power delivery question from Liaison report

Just my two cents worth . . .

1) I believe, if memory serves me correctly, that the current imbalance that can
be tolerated in the signal transformers is very small and will be the driving
factor in the imbalance that can be allowed and therefore may require activity
to correct the problems found in the wiring, connectors, etc.  (series
resistors, etc.)

2) I feel that the proper place to set the current limit is in the design of the
PD.  It is not unreasonable to expect the designers to take into account their
power budget and live within it when developing the end device.  I believe that
putting a tight margin on the shut off current of the PSE would only be done at
a relatively high cost that really is not necessary.  It seems more reasonable
to me that the PD be designed not to exceed and that the PSE have some
reasonable hard limit above 350 ma where power is removed via a PTC or some
other device that can't quite hit a hard number like 350 ma.

The first item we can probably do some engineering on to determine the right
answer to imbalance, the second item is probably not so clear cut.  I think the
decision about how exact the cut off at 350 ma is and how exactly it is enforced
is something that is more opinion than science.

Mike McCormack