RE: current limiting of 802.3 power

While there may be good reasons to limit current at the source for safety
reasons, it may be useful to make the distinction between "regulating" the
current in the system  using PTCs vs. using them to "protect" against
overcurrent.  The PTCs are not meant to be used as a current-regulating
device, but rather as an overcurrent protection device.  Under excess
current conditions, a PTC device will go high in resistance, effectively
cutting off all but a few mA of current through the circuit.  It does not
provide a regulated or limited output at, say, 350mA.

Regarding the use of PTCs for circuit protection, devices such as Raychem's
PolySwitch devices are being used in the IT and computer industry worldwide
for port protection against power faults and port short circuits.  They are
designed to meet or exceed the current limiting requirements for compliance
with standards such as UL 1950 and IEC 60950.  Under faults of several Amps,
they can trip within ms.  While they do exhibit a thermal derating effect
(ie, their carry current decreases with increasing temperature), this is
true of the board traces, and other current-carrying components in the
system.  As long as the appropriate PolySwitch device is selected, taking
into consideration the maximum normal operating current and temperature
conditions, the PTC devices can provide effective resettable circuit
protection and help designers comply with safety standards such as
UL/IEC/etc.

Lisa Leo
Raychem Circuit Protection
Division of Tyco Electronics