RE: floating power, be afraid...

Hi all,

I like the idea of grounding the PSE ports at the  PSE, or power supply
feeding 48V to the PSE('s).  This removes the need for an additional 2.5kW
converter (200 odd ports) just to provide the port to ground isolation.  A
converter this size isn't cheap, and is likely to have about 400W of
losses.  I'm sure the people living in California would appreciate the
saving.

The DTE inputs would need to be isolated to avoid any possibility of ground
loops or transients that others have already talked about.  This should not
be a problem as you need to convert the 48V input into something more
useful, like 5V, 3.3V, etc, so there is probably a need for a transformer
in the converter.

Simon Third
Invensys Energy Systems (NZ) Ltd.

                    "Rick Brooks"
                    <ribrooks@nortelnetworks.        To:     R karam <rkaram@cisco.com>, "Schwartz, Peter"
                    com>                             <Peter.Schwartz@micrel.com>, stds-802-3-pwrviamdi@ieee.org
                    Sent by:                         cc:
                    owner-stds-802-3-pwrviamd        Subject:     RE: floating power, be afraid...
                    i@ieee.org

                    07/03/01 05:21

What Roger says is true.
However, I don't think that is really a safety problem.
This setup would mean that you are testing 512 ports at the same time,
since all 512 RJ-45 ports would be getting the high voltage from the Hipot
tester at the same time.

I think that the "greater than 2 meg at 500V", at the end of the Hipot test
applies to a single MDI.

- Rick