Re: PSE vs. PD power dissipation again]

Yair,

The main issue that I have is that the PSE is not allowed to trip immediately.
It is required to deliver an overcurrent for some time.  This overcurrent must
be sustained by other devices connected to a powered up PSE.
One example is the PSE output diode.  In case of a cross over between PSEs, this
diode must handle the overcurrent for the specified time.  Hence a big diode for
the clamp.
Another example is a breakdown fault.  Here the circuit must sustain the
overcurrent for the specified time.
Allowing the PSE to trip rapidly may prevent some smoke.
Allowing the PSE to trip immediately is simply safer.

The second issue is that even with the overcurrent for a limited time, the PD
still needs a big FET.  The only way to use a smaller FET is by reducing the
current.

Dieter

> Subject: RE: PSE vs. PD power dissipation again
> Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:12:03 -0500
> From: "Lynch, Brian" <brian_lynch@ti.com>
> To: "'Yair Darshan'" <YairD@powerdsine.com>,
>      "'Dave Dwelley'"
>      <ddwelley@linear.com>,
>      stds-802-3-pwrviamdi@ieee.org
>
> Yair, Dave, all,
>
> I'll throw some more fuel to the fire below...
>
> Brian

begin:vcard
n:Knollman;Dieter
tel;home:(303) 421-3263