RE: PSE vs. PD power dissipation

First, a formatting request/suggestion: to make these long emails easier to
parse, please either make your comments in a different color or, better yet,
put them at the top of the page rather than interspersed with the old
mails's text.

   Now, as far as why one might want to integrate the PSE FET, some boards
are extremely tight (some aren't). In any case, you'll always have the
choice: I can virtually guarantee that although there may be some
integrated-FET PSE chips, there will always be external-FET PSE chips, if
that's what you want to use.

     Of course, if there is no startup current limiting in the PD, then
there will be more dissipation in the PSE, and the PSE chip designers will
have to deal with this.  But our studies indicate that charge up of a 220-uF
PD capacitance can be handled.  Here, I'm supposing the worst-case: that the
switcher cap is connected with the line cap at a relatively low line voltage
(any level safely above detection potentials) and charged up to -48v in
parallel with the line cap.  This, as I mentioned in a prior email, is what
will maximize the ease of preventing motorboating.

Regards,
Bruce