PSE vs. PD power dissipation again

Dave et alia:
Perhaps some confusion has arisen by virtue of our (Micrel's) failure to
have had our presentation posted in advance of the meeting This has since
been rectified; please follow this link:
http://www.ieee802.org/3/af/public/mar01/inn_1_0301.pdf
<http://www.ieee802.org/3/af/public/mar01/inn_1_0301.pdf> ).
Bruce and I were proposing a "quasi-constant power dissipation" in the PSE
MOSFET be maintained during the PD charge-up period, by using a variable
degree of foldback, said degree of foldback to be determined by the voltage
across the MOSFET as the PD charges from the PSE.  It was our intent to show
that by doing this, the power dissipation in the PSE MOSFET can be
maintained at a reasonable level, even for a hypothetical integrated device,
even in a multi-channel IC.
I think a slight rephrasing of your message's wording (quoted here) may help
illustrate the point which we attempted to make.
"There is the issue of line capacitance, which will put the PSE into its
500mA limit briefly (<74us) - but this short time duration won't
significantly heat the PSE. We could also see a short on the wire - in this
case, the PSE could shut off quickly (<1ms) or incorporate foldback to limit
dissipation, like Micrel showed."
I propose that we mandate that the PD limit the inrush current, say to 350mA
+/-50mA, and mandate that the PSE limit at say 500mA +/-50mA. By forcing the
PD to do this, we allow a multi-channel PSE chip with FETs on board. An
alternative is to incorporate foldback to limit dissipation, like Micrel
showed. Otherwise we can't do it we will encounter sever thermal issues if
we attempt to integrate multiple-channel PSE power switches, and will be
stuck with discrete MOSFETs for the foreseeable future."
Thanks for letting me take these liberties with your words.  We may have
missed the boat technically (comments?), but the above more accurately
reflects our intent.
Yours as ever -
Peter Schwartz
Applications Engineer
Micrel Semiconductor
Phone:    408.435.2460
FAX: 408.456.0490
peter.schwartz@micrel.com <mailto:peter.schwartz@micrel.com>

Group -
In lieu of a dedicated power ad-hoc reflector, I'm posting this to the
general list. Is there a power reflector in the works?
I'm assuming that we'd eventually like to integrate the power switches into
a PSE chip, and that PSE designers will tend to want to service multiple
channels with a single chip: 4, 8, or more. Also, I assume that we'd like to
be able to power up many PDs simultaneously (when the wiring closet power
comes back on after a California shutdown) - this isn't critical, but it's
desirable.
To do this, we need a scheme that keeps the power dissipation out of the PSE
end. Rick and Dieter have both shown that if the PD limits inrush current to
some value lower than the PSE current limit (eg., 350mA for the PD, 500mA
for the PSE), dissipation in the PSE is near zero. This one of several
options allowed by the draft standard as it reads now - others share the
dissipation between the two ends (the Avaya resistor divider/FET scheme), or
put all the dissipation in the PSE (the UVLO/latch-on scheme that Micrel
showed at the meeting).
If we allow any PD to push any dissipation back into the PSE, we force the
PSE to be able to handle the worst case - all channels powering
simultaneously, with all the power in the PSE. To do this, the PSE needs
some accommodation: heat sinks, external FETs, sequential power up
algorithms (which lengthen average detect time), or low current limits at
startup. None of these are desirable.
There is the issue of line capacitance, which will put the PSE into its
500mA limit briefly (<74us) - but this short time duration won't
significantly heat the PSE. We could also see a short on the wire - in this
case, the PSE could shut off quickly (<1ms) or incorporate foldback to limit
dissipation, like Micrel showed.
I propose that we mandate that the PD limit the inrush current, say to 350mA
+/-50mA, and mandate that the PSE limit at say 500mA +/-50mA. By forcing the
PD to do this, we allow a multi-channel PSE chip with FETs on board.
Otherwise we can't do it.
This does make a bare-bones PD more complicated. In the short run, it
probably requires a low-cost op amp and a sense resistor to implement - or a
150 ohm/~1W series resistor and a FET to short it out when the switcher
input cap voltage approaches the line voltage. Going forward, the PD
function (with power device, current limit, UVLO, the works) can be
integrated - and since PDs generally don't need multiple channels, the power
in the single switch is tolerable (as Dieter showed at the meeting).  The
"30 watt" PD would conceivably need a dual - we'll use a bigger package or
some other trick to deal with the heat in that case.
How much is it worth to integrate a multi-channel PSE chip?

Dave Dwelley
Linear Technology