RE: PSE vs. PD power dissipation again

Dieter, Dave,
See my comments bellow.
Thanks
Yair.

	Dieter

	Start-up voltage:  Yair allows the PD to drop the line voltage below
the start-up
	threshold of 30 volts.  All the state machine for the resistor
proposal have stated
	that the PD should only draw power if the voltage is greater than
start-up.  We can
	allow this, but it creates a special start-up state.
Yair:

I allow it, however it is not a must. You can use isolating switch scheme in
which the voltage at PD input is not drop to zero.
The isolating switch shown in my presentation is an example for such case.
No drops to zero.

Now, If we don't want to force specific implementation than we should allow
drop to zero for limited time.
Dieter is right that we should add special start up case. I agree, I don't
see a problem with it. Start up is special case regardless of the state
machine
and should be specified at all specification levels.

	Dieter

	Safety:  With Yair's proposal, the PSE can not distinguish between a
fault and a
	valid PD for the initial inrush time (50ms).  This requires the PSE
to deliver over
	1 joule before tripping.  With PD current limiting the energy can be
a few
	mili-joules.  This could allow some devices to survive.  See my
message to Roger.

Yair:

1.   I don't see a problem for the PSE to deliver the power during that
time. In previous emails I have shown that there is no problems
      for the component.
1.1 The issue of additional power required from the PSE during startup is
easily solved by PSE controller that will control when
      to startup each port.Easy to do. This is part of the power management
that we are discussing.
1.2 It is not an safety issue, it is power dissipation issue for limited
time. Averaging it over system operating time gives zero. We are talking
about peak power
      and we can handle it.

2. With PD inrush current the PSE switch deals with few mJoules but the PD
inrush current switch is taking the heat... could be over Joule too..