RE: PD power

I was just checking the draft spec. on the web, It says we are
limited to 12.95 watts continuous power except during startup.
During startup, the PD is limited to drawing up to 19.5 watts for
up to 100ms. (some paraphrasing done here.....)

Having a 20 ohm line impedance complicates analysis somewhat, but
remember that the PD does not see the full 57 volts at startup.
It sees something less. At 400ma, the PD sees 57-.4*20=49 volts
and draws 49*.4= 19.6 watts. The remaining power is lost in the
distribution system.

...just another way of saying (3) is the reasonable choice. It
is already in the spec.

Brian