From: Colin Wilson [mailto:cpwilson@cisco.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 24 July, 2001 10:23 AM
To: standards-announce@cisco.com
Cc: shamilto@cisco.com; mphipps@cisco.com; rtbell@cisco.com;
jmpolk@cisco.com
Subject: Fwd: ETSI standard for Line power for IP terminals

ETSI work group TC-AT is developing a standard for line powering of ip
phones using ethernet and this also implies a requirement for the equipment
supplying power to the phones.  There is a little addition beyond 802.3af
in that it incorporates reduced line powering in the event of a network
failure, similar to basic rate restricted power.  The intent is to get this
standard ratified at the September meeting but there is still quite a bit
of work to be done so we can input to the standard if we wish.

An ETSI study into the standards for IP phones was published as TR 101 941
and available at:
http://wwwin-eng.cisco.com/Eng/MSABU/Eng_Ops/WWW/Homologation/PTT_Standard_R
equirements/tr_101941v010101p.pdf

Following the completion of the study the draft standard for line powering
was started as ES 201 910, which is available at:
http://wwwin-eng.cisco.com/Eng/MSABU/Eng_Ops/WWW/Homologation/PTT_Standard_R
equirements/IPtermlinepowerd2.doc

The work was originally pushed by Phillips but is now being driven by
Telecom SA.  Anyone working in this area please contact me to set up some
discussions in a smaller group.

Thanks,

Colin Wilson