[802.3af] Re: AW: Liaison report from ISO/IEC JTC 1 SC 25/WG 3 on mid-span pow er insertion

Walter-

Your most recent question is a little different than your personal question that was covered on the cover page of the liaison letter.

The position of the current draft is that.
        If power is being inserted on the cabling from the switch/repeater towards the DTE (i.e. not mid-span insertion) then either the pairs on pins 1-2, 3-6 (Alternative A) or the pairs on pins 4-5, 7-8 (Alternative B), but not both.
        If the power is inserted on the cabling with a mid-span then the proposed standard mandates Alternative B.

The normal expectation is that the pairs used for power in a mid-span would not provide continuity through the mid-span. Those pairs on the unpowered side of the mid-span are expected to be unused but properly terminated. This is not mandated, however. The draft states in 33.2.2 that:
"Midspan PSE must use alternative B as described in section 33.2.1.Midspan PSE are limited to operation with 10BASE-T and 100BASE-TX systems,1000BASE-T is beyond the scope of this standard."

So it may be possible to build a Midspan PSE that would serve 1000BASE-T. Many people think this is possible. We have not investigated it during this project.

I hope that provides a definitive answer to your question.

Best regards,

Geoff