[802.3af] Technical error in 802.3af Draft 3.1

Please find below a comment in regards to subclause 33.4.4 Resistance Balance
which addresses a technical error in Draft 3.1. I've reviewed the comment with Hank Hinrichs
and have attached his comments below. I'm expediting this comment due to the work-in-
progress at TIA.

Comment: subclause 33.4.4 Resistance Balance, page 79

The method of measurement for resistance balance specified in Subclause 33.4.4
does not accurately characterize the resistance unbalance between the pair(s) and
therefore the requirement will not suffice to control the transformer current unbalance.

Summary of technical Issue:

The intent of Draft 3.1 subclause 33.4.4 is to provide a requirement for the resistance
unbalance between two conductors. The requirement is specified to limit the transformer
current unbalance. Although the intent is reasonably stated in the draft, the method of measurement
provided does not accurately characterize the resistance unbalance between the pair(s)
and therefore the requirement will not suffice to control the transformer current unbalance.

Proposal:

The ASTM resistance unbalance calculation is proportional to the calculation
used to derive the transformer current unbalance. When the ASTM method is used the
percentage of resistance unbalance required to control the transformer current unbalance
is approximately 5%.

ASTM D 4566 states that, “the absolute difference in resistance unbalance is calculated
by subtracting the lesser resistance from the greater resistance”, and that, “a more useful
and generally used expression for resistance unbalance is percent resistance unbalance, where

%Resistance Unbalance = ((max resistance-min resistance)/(min resistance)) x 100”.

For international reference purposes, The ASTM  resistance unbalance % can be translated into an
ISO equivalent as specified in IEC 61156-1 1994* where resistance unbalance is specified as:

The resistance unbalance between conductors of a pair or in the same side of a quad is defined as: deltaR(%) = (Rmax-Rmin)/(Rmax+Rmin)x100(%)
where
deltaR is the resistance unbalance;
Rmax is the resistance, in ohms, for the conductor with the higher resistance value;
Rmin is the resistance, in ohms, for the conductor with the lower resistance value.

The percentage unbalance of 5% based on the ASTM method translates into ~2.5% based
on the IEC 61156-1 method.

*Reference provided by Dave Hess Chair of US TAG ISO/IEC11801/WG3