Re: [802.3af] comment #178

I would not be adverse to folding Class 0 into Class 3 since we have
determined that PDs must provide a stable classification signature, its
just that a stable detection signature over the classification voltage is
also a valid classification signature now.  (That is if I remember what we
had done in Vancouver2.)

As far as dropping Class 4, we need that if we want to leave room for
future engineers to expand the power stuff.

We reserve the range in the PD as class 4, which I imagine we can drop.
End the classification region for PDs at the end of Class 3, and thereby
reserve Class 4 be default.  But a PSE built to day needs to know what to
do when it runs into a device in what we intend for future stuff, and our
only rule for future Class 4 devices is that Class 4 device better not
start out more than class 3 requirements because that is what a legacy
(legacy once the next group updates the spec.) PSE will do to get started.

My two cents.

Mike

PS - is there anyway we can get a rule in .3 that we will not recycle
meeting cities until all groups that met in that city have finished?  It
makes it more difficult to specify when a decision was made.  While we're
doing that, we should insert a rule about no plenary meetings at airport
hotels.

"Chad Jones" <cmjones@cisco.com>@majordomo.ieee.org on 01/22/2003 05:48:22
PM

Please respond to <cmjones@cisco.com>