[802.3af] Surge test with 0.3u/50u

Chris, Roger and all,

We in Vancouver wanted to delete the requirement of 0.3u/50u 1000V fault tolerance test.
I have also mentioned that this is a destructive test.
It is true if it is done with low source impedance 2-12 ohms which is the standard surge test when it forms part of the immunity tests during EMI tests.

However, this requirement is specified by figure 33-18 with two 404 ohms source resistance which make life much easier.
So if we can easily remove this requirement from the draft lets do it.
If it cause to much trouble (old requirement from 802.3) than it doesn't worth the time, I don't believe we will have problems with 1KV pulse 0.3u/50us
through 202 ohm source resistance (two 404 ohms in parallel according to figure 33-18).

The above info was sent to Chad as part of my comments to draft 4.01 as informative material to Roger and others who had concerns regarding this issue.

Regards

Yair.

    Darshan Yair
    Chief  Engineer
    PowerDsine Ltd.  -  Powering Converged Networks
    1 Hanagar St., P.O. Box 7220
    Neve Ne'eman Industrial Zone
    Hod Hasharon 45421, Israel
    Tel:  +972-9-775-5100, Cell: +972-54-893019
    Fax: +972-9-775-5111

    E-mail: <mailto:yaird@powerdsine.com>.
    <http://www.powerdsine.com>