[802.3af] RE: Surge test with 0.3u/50u

Hi Roger,

I did not run a test with 0.3u/50u 1KV through two 404 ohms in parallel.

I did run a test with 1.2u/50u 1KV - 4KV  through 2ohms to 12ohms and in some tests I pass without external protection
and in some tests I failed without external protection (bad luck for PCB and its inhabitants...). all of these tests were part of immunity tests and not part of IEEE802.3.

I tested only the behavior from 2ohm to 12 ohm at 1.2u rise time and saw significant difference at this range alone (2ohms 12ohms).
So Increasing the source impedance from 2-12 ohms to 202 ohms improve the outcome dramatically which is not a big surprise.. Ip max =Vp/Z...

Regarding the equipment required: I am checking with labs around here for 0.3us rise time generator.

I don't know personally of somebody who pass this tests (0.3u , 404ohms) usually it is implementation and layout dependent and above all, it is done at system level not at chip or module level.
I assume that there are many that pass this test due to the fact that it is old requirement in 802.3 and now that I have notice in drawing 33-18 that the source impedance is 202 ohm I believe that it was not a big challenge.

If you are doing surge tests as part of immunity tests 1K-2KV, 1.2u/50us through 2-12 ohms as part of EMI package (required only for environment B)
than meeting : 1K, 0.3u/50u, through 202 ohms is much easier and you are OK for 802.3.

IN ANY CASE YOU SHOULD TEST IT IN LAB DUE TOO SENSITIVITY OF THE RESULTS TO LAYOUT AND IMPLEMENTATION.

Regards

Yair.