Re: [RE] Synchronous ethernet discussions

Janoj,

I'll do my best to answer your questions, but opinions vary.
If others disagree, at least that will start the discussions...

>>         1. What is the topology targeted for the solution:
>>                 - Small network with one/two hops (bridges)?

Small residential network, but mine already has 4 hops.
So, I suspect the one/two hops is a bit small.

>>                 - 10/100 only or can use 10/100/1000?

I think the debate is between 100/1000 and 1000 only.
Most folks seem to agree that the cost difference between
10Mb and 100Mb doesn't justify additional work to support it.

However, 100Mb with Jumbo frames is an interesting question.
If one can do 100Mb with Jumbo frames, then one can probably
also do 10Mb, with or without Jumbo frames.

>>         2. Is there any workload characterization?
>>                 - Packet sizes/distribution

No strong assumptions, although there has been a leaning to only
support synchronous frames when they represent the accumulation
of a common interval, where that period is one or a few 125us
intervals.

>>                 - burstiness

The one or a few intervals is a constraint on synchronous transfers.
There is no constraint on the async traffic burstiness.

>>         3. What is the expected/acceptable performance criteria?
>>                 - Throughput at the end-station

I believe folks seemed to be comfortable with 50-75% of the theoretical
maximum, based on the media bandwidth.

>>                 - Latency/Latency jitter

Latency jitter would be a few intervals. Latency varies from one to
a few (probably less than 4) intervals per bridge hop.

>>                 - Packet drop sensitivity?

Better to drop than to delay excessively. HOWEVER, better never to drop
due to congestion conditions.

>>                 - clock sync need (with respect to what?)

Yes, relative to the clock master, where one of the stations is nominated
to be the clock master.

>>         4. Is any quantitative data available that shows above can not
>>            be met on GiGE? (Except clock-sync). Pointer will certainly
>>            help.

It certainly can be met by Gigabit Ethernet, with the appropriate
constraints
on insertion behavior and jitter delays through bridges. Even the clock-sync
is possible, since its more critical that one measure delays than eliminate
them.

>>         5. What is a synchronous frame? Pointer to any prior work will
>>            really help.

My terminology for a synchronous frame is one that is labeled for
preferential
treatment through bridges, presumably based on prenegotiated bandwidths.

See the 802.3 site for slides from the last meeting. I would like to get
802.9 material for reference purposes, but I'm not sure where that is.

Your may also want to read IEEE 1394, which (some of us feel) should be
useful for background and is also highly desirable to support in a
reasonably transparent-to-traffic fashion.

Respectfully,
DVJ

David V. James
3180 South Ct