From: owner-stds-802-3-re@listserv.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-re@listserv.ieee.org] On Behalf Of John Grant
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2004 12:27 PM
To: STDS-802-3-RE@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: [RE] Focus of discussions

How far into the detail of the eventual standard are we supposed to go
at this stage? As I understand it, the current task is to develop the
PAR + 5 criteria in time for the November plenary, the criteria being:

- Broad Market Potential
- Compatibility with the rest of 802.3
- Distinct Identity
- Technical Feasibility
- Economic Feasibility

Will the scope, for instance, include

(a) "ability to convey time-critical data" or
(b) "ability to convey the time-critical data required for [list of
applications]" or
(c) something more specific

Do we need to decide at this stage which speeds to support, whether to
support jumbo frames [come to think of it, are jumbo frames allowed by
802.3 anyway?], whether to use additional pairs, etc?

Some of these choices could, of course, affect the feasibility (e.g. max
size 10 Mbit/s frames are 1.2 msec long so if you're not allowed to
fragment them for compatibility reasons you can't have synchronous
frames every 125 usec).

John Grant

Nine Tiles Networks Ltd, Cambridge, England
+44 1223 862599 and +44 1223 511455
http://www.ninetiles.com