Re: [RE] Focus of discussions

John,

The reason for my stimulating email conversations was twofold:

1) To answer the following requirements, some form of strawman
   proposal seemed useful:
     - Compatibility with the rest of 802.3
     - Distinct identity
     - Technical feasibility

2) I get bored with precedural issues and can't wait for real
   technical work to unfold.

While the second item isn't really necessary, its much more fun,
interesting, challenging, and a match to my engineering talents.

While I suppose someone has to do it, at least within the 802
environment, I much prefer to do the work, as opposed to working
on proposals to do the work(:>).

As to:
>> Do we need to decide at this stage which speeds to support,
>> whether to support jumbo frames [come to think of it, are jumbo
>> frames allowed by 802.3 anyway?], whether to use additional pairs,
>> etc?

I would say yes, since it affects the items mentioned in (1).

I think you were implying "no", but it was a bit too subtle for
an email conversation. I really couldn't tell if that was
a rhetorical question (seemed to be, on the 5th reading),
so less subtle text might be more effective in the absence of
body language and the presence of many non-native English
speakers.

>> [come to think of it, are jumbo frames allowed by 802.3 anyway?]
Don't know if they are allowed by the "official" 802.3, but they
are mandated by a significant numbers of customers, or so I hear.

And, some suppliers have to be "profitable" as well as "official".
I'm not the one to judge the scope of this support within the
industry, but would favor jumbo frames if the commercial needs
are widespread. After all, this is part of the five criteria:
  - Economic feasibility

DVJ

David V. James
3180 South Ct