Re: [RE] Technical Feasibility (the data format swamps)

John,

>> I guess that depends whether they want to send uncompressed video.
>> This raises the issue of audio and video formats; given the scenario

The question of formats, encapsulation of formats into frames, commands
for start/stop, etc. is a _huge_ issue that multiple groups have tried
to solve and none have truely succeeded.

In the PC arena, the dominance of hardware and software vendors allows
defacto industry standards to be dictated and software drivers can be
downloaded with the product and managed by the "IT administrator".

This isn't the case with consumer devices, and the need for product
"distinction", aggressive schedules, and historical alliances can
make things difficult. And, even big CE companies have many divisions,
so commonality within one vendor is (in itself) a possibly unmanagable
problem.

I really don't know the answer to this one, and I'm not sure there
is an easy answer. Unfortunately, this problem dwarfs the issues
of synchronous cable connectivity. So, the widespread adoption of
consumer devices will probably lag the interconnect capabilities
by 5-10 years(:<).

That may sound like a pessimist, but its based on real world
experience with the 1394TA and their members. And, while its
nice to think one's own organization could do better, I think
this group was well run and others are unlikely to do it any
quicker or better.

DVJ

David V. James
3180 South Ct