Re: [RE] What's wrong using FireWire as the home backbone?

Hi John,

I just wanted to comment on your statements 'this group is tasked with producing
an enhancement to 802.3' and 'This project is about making Ethernet an option
for such applications.' that you made in your e-mail. In IEEE-SA terms, this is
not yet a project, a project requires a Project Authorisation Request (PAR)
approved by the IEEE-SA Standards Board. This instead is a IEEE 802.3 Study
Group.

Regardless of terminology I just wanted to clarify the following. The task of
this Study Group is to achieve consensus on a draft PAR and five criteria then
gain approval for them from the IEEE 802.3 Working Group, the Sponsor and then
the IEEE-SA. In addition it is normal practice, and in my opinion essential in
gaining IEEE 802.3 approval, for a set of objectives for the project to be also
generated. Only if there is an approved PAR for an IEEE 802.3 amendment will
there be a project that is tasked with making enhancements to IEEE 802.3.

You may wish to review the IEEE 802.3 Rules in respect to IEEE 802.3 Study
Groups in more detail [ http://www.ieee802.org/3/rules/P802_3_rules.pdf#Page=12
] however I have reproduced what I thought was the most relevant portion below.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
  David Law

4. 802.3 Study Groups

4.1 Function

The function of a Study Group is to complete a defined task with specific output
and in a specific time frame established within which they are allowed to study
the subject. Once this task is complete the function of the SG is complete and
its charter expires.

The normal function of a 802.3 Study Group (SG) is to draft a complete PAR and
five criteria (see 7.2) and to gain approval for them at WG 802.3, 802 EC, IEEE
New Standards Committee (NesCom) and the IEEE Standards Board. The decision of
whether to utilize the 802.3 WG, or to establish a new WG or Technical Advisory
Group (TAG) to carry out work items recommended by a SG is be made by the EC
with due consideration of advice from the 802.3 WG.

John Grant <j@NINETILES.COM>@IEEE.ORG on 03/09/2004 10:58:56

Please respond to "IEEE 802.3 Residential Ethernet"<stds-802-3-re@IEEE.ORG>

Sent by:  owner-stds-802-3-re@IEEE.ORG