Re: [RE] DRAFT Objectives 09/30/2004

802.3 will not specify error rates in the application layer, we will need something a little more appropriate than pops and flashes.

Mike

Please respond to "IEEE 802.3 Residential Ethernet"<stds-802-3-re@IEEE.ORG>

Sent by:        owner-stds-802-3-re@IEEE.ORG

To:        STDS-802-3-RE@listserv.ieee.org
cc:
Subject:        Re: [RE] DRAFT Objectives 09/30/2004

I actually read the "zero packet loss" item as a statement of error rate--an
error rate that I believe is unreasonable.  If it indeed refers to
"Guaranteed bandwidth allocation" then it must be restated.  I agree with
John Gildred that this is a requirement.  As for error rate, let me state
what I think is the minimum requirement from the end user perspective:  In
streaming a high definition a/v stream (24 megabits/second) there should not
be any visible/audible errors more often than once every six hours (each
error equivalent to an audible "pop" or a visible "flash").  This is an
error rate that has been used in the CE industry and is a minimum standard
with the typical error rate expected to be much better.

jnf
John Nels Fuller
24034 NE 29th Street
Sammamish, WA   98074-5468   USA