From: owner-stds-802-3-re@ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-re@ieee.org]On Behalf Of Shvodian
William-r63101
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 8:48 AM
To: STDS-802-3-RE@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [RE] Results of today's discussion

OK, sorry for the confusion.  From now on I will include both full names of
PARs that have been submitted for approval and a link or copy of or link to
the PAR.  The 802.3ar congestion management PAR can be found here:

http://www.ieee802.org/3/cm_study/public/september04/802-3ar.pdf

The 802.3ar Congestion Management PAR does say:

"Ethernet networks are being used in an increasing number of application
spaces (clustering, backplanes, storage, data centers, etc.) that are
sensitive to frame delay, delay variation and loss. Study Group
presentations have shown that Ethernet networks can experience higher
throughput, lower delay, and lower frame loss by performing congestion
management. This will improve Ethernet in its growing number of
applications."

Maybe the key difference is that 802.3ar does not attempting to solve
"real-time" delivery as David suggested, but the PAR definitely does address
lower delay and delay variation.  I'll stand by my original
statement/question that the TGs need to be coordinated.  After all, you
don't want a congestion control mechanism that will try to reduce the
throughput of a real-time stream below it's required throughput.

Bill