Re: [RE] Results of today's discussion

802.3 CM as I understand it, has very different requirements than RE. RE
requires the following:
(* could be done in 802.3, ** partially in 802.3)

1)      Of course, fully supports 802.1
2)      *Low cost (zero additional perceived cost per unit to consumer)
3)      MAX 500uSec DELAY THROUGH EACH HOP (illustrated by Gibson)
4)      Performance requirements are based on 7 hops maximum (3.5 milliseconds)
5)      *Provide master clock with which all stations’ clocks maintain
bounded phase delay (illustrated by Pioneer, lip-sync and digital
speaker scenarios)
6)      *Phase delay (between master and station clock) short term jitter
maximum is within a few microseconds
7)      *Phase delay (between master and station clock) long term jitter
(drift) asymptotically approaches zero
8)      *Isochronous traffic only supported over 100Mbps or greater full-duplex
9)      *At least 75% of link bandwidth may be reserved for isochronous traffic
10)     *At least 10% of link bandwidth is reserved for best-effort traffic
11)     *Assumed cycle size is 8kHz (very widely used)
12)     **Network provides a mechanism to request/assign resources for
isochronous transmission (e.g. bandwidth, channel) and the default
rule(s) for managing the resources
13)     *Isochronous packets are never dropped nor delayed due to ANY other
network traffic
14)     *Granularity (not minimum) of bandwidth allocation is on the order
of single bytes per cycle
15)     By default, resource allocation is first-come-first-serve
16)     **Network will automatically reclaim previously allocated but
currently unused resources
17)     **Isochronous traffic is not disrupted when a station/session is
added/removed to/from the network
18)     Allows bridging to isoch 802.11e
19)     Allows bridging to isoch 1394

An end-to-end throttling mechanism, like what has been discussed in CM,
would not satisfy the RE requirements. I don't think what CM is trying
to do is anywhere close to RE. You could even say that they are
opposites, as a low resolution (more than per frame) throttling
mechanism would increase jitter. CM is for a very different application
than RE. Both may need coordination with 802.1, but that's the extent of
the similarity.

-John

Benjamin Brown wrote:

> David,
>
> The 802.1 piece of the project isn't quite as you described.We're
> asking 802.1 to create a tag of sorts that it can use to generate
> FECN (Forward Explicit Congestion Notification). TCP can
> then use this to reduce traffic end-to-end before packets are
> discarded. IP already has a mechanism to carry FECN but when
> IP packets are encrypted, or other network layer protocols are
> used that don't already have a mechanism, this may be a useful
> addition. Some L3/L4 aware bridges already have this capability
> in a proprietary fashion.
>
> There may be other ideas that 802.1 comes up with.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
> Ben
>
> David V James wrote:
>
>>Bill,
>>
>>I asked a few questions at the 802.3 Congestion Management (CM)
>>teleconference today, since 802.3 Residential Ethernet (RE)
>>folks expressed an interest.
>>
>>The answers follow. I have CC'd this to Ben Brown, so mistakes
>>(if any) can be quickly corrected.
>>
>>1) Question: When will the 802.3 CM tutorial be presented?
>>   Response: At:
>>             November 16, 2004
>>             San Antonio, TX 802 Plenary meeting
>>             2nd tutorial slot (thought to be 8:00PM)
>>
>>2) Question: What is the rough scoping/strategy for CM?
>>   Response: a) 802.3 will define a throttle that can limit the
>>                station transmission rate. This limits only
>>                the overall rate, not per-connection and/or
>>                per-class rates.
>>             b) 802.1 (if willing) would define the mechanisms
>>                to sense congestion and/or loss within the
>>                interconnect, to better facilitate the correct
>>                setting of the throttle rate (2a).
>>
>>3) Question: Is this a dynamic or static rate throttle?
>>   Response: It is quasi-static.
>>             Dynamic in the sense that it can vary based on (2b).
>>             Static in the sense that it controls the smoothed
>>             averaged rate. Rate updates are presumably done
>>             on an infrequent (not per-frame) basis.
>>
>>Note that these are my perceptions and rewording of 802.3CM
>>statements by participating individuals, not accurate quotes.
>>
>>As with all groups, things can change over time and these
>>statements do not constrain current/future activities.
>>(My crude attempt at a "use at your own risk" disclaimer.)
>>
>>DVJ

John Gildred
Vice President of Engineering
Pioneer Research Center USA