Re: [RE] Objectives summary for a paper ...

Michael's statement about the first meeting of the study group is correct. A call for interest is a discussion of whether to start meeting and we usually measure the start of the actual activity from the first study group meeting.
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-stds-802-3-re@IEEE.ORG [mailto:owner-stds-802-3-re@IEEE.ORG]On Behalf Of Richard Brand
Sent: Wednesday, 10 November, 2004 4:00 PM
To: STDS-802-3-RE@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [RE] Objectives summary for a paper ...

Michael:
Brevity may be the reason behind this omission but I believe that you should start at the 7/13/04 Call For Interest in Portland which was the first IEEE 802.3 sanctioned meeting/event where we had over 100 people in the room.  Then on Thursday, 7/15 the SG was established by a majority vote of the 802.3 Working Group.  I have the vote numbers somewhere if you wish.
As far as the objectives, you have the same list I do and you were there too so I trust you on that one.
Cheers,
Richard

Michael Johas Teener wrote:

I'm writing a paper on Residential Ethernet that needs to go to the publisher in the next few days. It has to be kept reasonably short, so I've compressed the objectives a bit. Before I send them in, I'd like to make sure that I haven't missed something important. Here is the relevant section of text:

----

The first meeting of the study group took place on September 30, 2004, in Ottawa, Canada, and agreed on a set of objectives which were further refined in meetings leading up to the November 2004 802.3 meetings in San Antonio[1] :

1.    Plug and Play (which means that all of the various automatic and self-configuring capabilities of 802.3 will be required, not optional).

2.    Links must be 100Mb/s full duplex or greater (requires the use of switches to connect together more that two devices). All existing 802.3 physical layers that meet this requirement are fully supported.

3.    Isochronous services will be provided which give managed priority access to specified chunks of transmission duration within 8kHz  "cycles" (fundamentally the same technique used by IEEE 1394).

4.    Isochronous services can use up to 75% of the link bandwidth, while the remaining is always available to best-effort traffic ("best-effort" is normal Ethenet traffic).

5.    There will be a mechanism to request/assign resources for isochronous services (e.g. bandwidth, channel) and the default rule(s) for managing the resources

6.    High quality synchronization services that provides all stations with a low jitter "house clock".

7.    Isochronous bridging to IEEE 1394, IEEE 802.11, and IEEE 802.15.3.

[1] The actual objectives list is somewhat longer. This is an aggregation of that list.

                   Michael D. Johas Teener
http://public.xdi.org/=Michael.Johas.Teener - PGP ID 0x3179D202