Re: [RE] Stream identification at the MAC SAP

Michael:
Since all of the Nat Semi NDA's have now expired I'm sure, let me correct your explanation.  Nat Semi had a project which was funded by a major computer company to develop an Ethernet based NIC for the forthcoming Power PC platform.  You may even remember the CRHP sessions.  One of the major new capabilities of the PPC was to allow users to communicate using their PPC's not only with voice but also via a derivative of H.320 desktop videoconferencing (this was prior to H.323) which was a required app to support on the NIC.  For this app even Microsoft was involved by providing the telephony API extension now known as TAPI and NetMeeting was targeted as the collaborative application incorporating the TAPI work.  Apple and IBM had set up joint companies here in California to develop real time apps for the platform.  I believe Kalida was one of those.  The other was across the street from the Apple headquarters.  The incAlliance was formed to hold the whole thing together but factionalization inside of the individual companies caused major dissension.  In retrospect it was too large a project to manage.
So the real application was not just legacy telephone PBX's but audio-video telephony based on LAN like hubs.  No PBX was required and in fact the concept was seen as a threat to some in the PBX industry, especially to key systems if the desktop video application took off which it did not.  The battle that was raging at the time was ATM vs Ethernet to the desktop and the PBX vendors were all developing ATM based solutions to provide for telephony and real time PC capable apps to compete with the rapidly growing Ethernet based companies like 3COM and Bay Nets.  Cisco was still a minor player in L2.  Fast Ethernet killed all that and the battle of the access choice for the desktop data connection was over for ATM.  However, Michael is right in saying that this just lead to the installation of two separate wiring systems as you really needed cat 5 wire for Fast Enet so there still was no convergence.
As I noted earlier, there were many issues which caused 802.9a & b to fail, mostly corporate greed and stupidity in holding onto patented technology.  But the industry push for video enabled real time applications on both 802.3 and 802.11 networks continues as global connectivity has come of age and there is still not a good solution for real time apps or even high quality stored audio and video content to support a level of QoE that our customers will pay real money for.
This is what we described in the CFI and that is the challenge of the Residential Ethernet SG.   I have seen most if not all of the higher layer solutions applied to Ethernet and .1 bridges which attempt to solve the problems.  The residential alliances continue to struggle with these problems.  Let's find the way to have 802.3 solve the problems and move on.
See you next week.

Michael Johas Teener wrote:

Richard can fill you all in, if you are really interested, but the real reason 802.9 didn’t go anywhere had more to do with it’s intended market: as a high-performance link for telephone systems. Its isochronous services were limited to muxing standard telephone ISDN channels on top of 10Mbit Enet. It was an OK idea at the time, but since the isoch services depended on PBX support it was a very odd hybrid system. PBX companies did not embrace it, so the world ended up with two parallel wiring systems: one for telephones and one for the LAN. The telephone systems, being highly centralized, were not amenable to the kind of incremental growth that the LAN part of the universe (to get a significant telephone network upgrade, an enterprise had to buy a whole new PBX, a rather expensive proposition).

Oddly enough, with Residential Ethernet (at least the way some of us have been envisioning it), you could really toss the PBX out the window without losing any quality of service.

Anyway, it’s unfortunate that 802.9 is sometimes called an isochronous LAN, because it never was. It was, instead, a hybrid LAN/Telephone network, an entirely different beast.