Re: [RE] Monday RE discussion announcement

Colleagues:

My point was that this should not be called an "802.3 RE Study Group ad
hoc meeting".  If you want to call it an ad hoc on residential Ethernet
that is your perogative.  As Chair though I attempt to make sure we are
following the rules.  If this were a study group meeting it has to be
properly called per our rules.  It is not anyone's perogative to in any
way indicate that an informal gathering of people is an 802.3 or RE
Study Group sanctioned meeting, which is implied by the title given and
reinforced by the use of the RESG reflector.

Personally (Bob Grow, not the Chair of 802.3), I think using the study
group reflector for this kind of thing puts the group on a slipery
slope, because you then have to start making judgements about other
meeting announcements:
  1.  Is it explicitly clear that the meeting isn't WG or SG sacntiones?
  2.  Does the meeting meet IEEE requirements for openness (e.g., not an
announcement of an "XYZ Alliance meeting)?
  3.  Is the meeting announcment in all other ways consistent with IEEE
requirements and with our published reflector policy?

--Bob