Re: [RE] Monday RE discussion announcement

There are a number of requirements that apply to any IEEE 802.3 task force meeting:

It has to be open.
The task force membership agrees to hold the interim meeting.
Time, place and agenda must be announced with adequate notice.
It is the chair's job to call meetings.

The same requirements apply to study group meetings.

I don't think any of these requirements change for an ad hoc meeting. Ad hoc means on a specific topic and it doesn't necessarily imply any less formality of the rules. That you announced that the meeting was open doesn't replace the other two rules. It is arguable that a meeting announced for a particular location shortly in advance isn't truely open because many people may not be able to attend.

Bob pointed out one flaw in the meeting you announced - the lack of notice; but there were other important flaws as well. As far as I can tell from the January minutes, the study group did not even discuss holding this meeting much less approve it. The chair did not call the meeting.

Two individual members of a study group or task force don't have the standing to call a study group meeting even if they call it "ad hoc". The ad hocs we have are formed by agreement of the study group or task force normally when there is a narrow topic (e.g. a channel model) that only a small portion of the group has the interest and skills to work on.

Individuals can always choose to meet together to work on a preparing a proposal or whatever, but when they do that it isn't a task force or study group meeting. Such meetings shouldn't be announced on our reflectors.

Regards,
Pat