Re: [RE] [REInterestGroup] 802.3 Residental Ethernet PAR: any MSC concerns?

Thomas,

As one of the "loud" ones, I wish you would stop persisting in your claim
that the discovery mechanisms that already exist are "proprietary" and
"almost certainly not available to all implementers under RAND (reasonable
and non-discriminatory) terms". I have noted a number of times in your
presence, with your acknowledgement, there are a number of IETF discovery
systems in place (free, and following IETF rules) including SLP (rfc2608 and
its derivatives), DDDS (rfc3958) and multicast-DNS/DNS-SD (www.dns-sd.org,
based on rfc2782). There are *many* others (too many, really).

The industry is moving towards a UPnP-based system which, while based on
various RFCs, is somewhat unique, and is a bit encumbered with IP issues.
This issues, however, have NOTHING to do with RAND (all parties are
committed to RAND ... and indeed to *free* licensing).

There are NO, repeat NO "proprietary" protocols involved in all this. If you
know of one, please be specific. I'm involved with at least three industry
efforts, and I find myself at a loss to understand your insistence that
there is a problem.

Finally, why do we need a layer 2 service discovery protocol to be
"competitive"? With whom? The only kind of discovery a layer 2 protocol
needs is one that is required by the protocol itself ... such as a common
synchronization source or "grand master" as it's called in IEEE 1588. Beyond
that, we are getting into some rather major layering issues ...

         Michael D. Johas Teener ‹ mike@plumblinks.com
http://public.xdi.org/=Michael.Johas.Teener - PGP ID 0x3179D202