[RE] Moving forward (... looking at the past)

It appears that there has been a communication failure at multiple levels,
and perhaps some level-setting is in order.

1. Denis, Yorum ... the SG spent most of its first meetings going through
exactly the scenarios you suggested. The accumulated presentations on the SG
website should make that clear. You are right, however, in implying that all
this has not been adequately summarized for those that have not
participated. This needs to be corrected ... (see my note of April 11, 4PM
PDT).

2. Arthur, Denis, Pat, David (Law) ... As David (James) noted, there was a
controversy a couple of months ago about calling some side meetings "ResE SG
ad-hoc". This led to some unfortunate misunderstandings that led to the
creation of the ResE SIG Yahoo group (which, BTW, I created specifically as
a "short term" solution to get all the organizational ramblings OFF the main
reflector ... and the group was self-subscribing without any management).
The unfortunate result of the creation of this group was that some issues
brought up there did *not* get a larger airing ... if it was somehow better
organized within the SG, things would perhaps have gone better. I have asked
David Law and Bob Grow for advice on how to facilitate the side discussions,
yet keep the whole group informed. I fully expect a positive resolution.

(... and John, there are no "anti trust" concerns ... the meetings and
announcements were as public as could be done, given that David James was
asked to NOT put them on the main SG reflector ...)

3. Arthur ... we would have *loved* to have a more experienced chair with
802.3 experience and, until the last plenary, we had one: Steve Carlson.
Unfortunately he had to drop out at the very last minute for personal
reasons, and I was asked to act in his stead with only two days warning.
Although I have chaired four different IEEE WGs, and two SGs (1196 Nubus 2,
1394, 1394b, and 1394c), those were all MSC-sponsored, and I was certainly
inexperienced with 802 procedures, much less 802.3 procedures. I apologize
again if there was anything I did to impede progress or upset any old hands.

So ... I hope this gives some background on what has happened so far. I
believe things can go better in the future.
         Michael D. Johas Teener ‹ mikejt@broadcom.com
office +1-408-922-7542 cell +1-831-247-9666 fax +1-831-480-5845
http://public.xdi.org/=Michael.Johas.Teener - PGP ID 0x3179D202