Re: [RE] Time sensitivities in ResE. Part 1: Synchronization

Michael,

>> If the clock has short term jitter or modulation, then the
>> reproduced data suffers from distortion.

I agree. Supportive arguments follow.

The ear is a very sensitive device and audiophiles can detect
_very_ small amounts of jitter in their clocks. The problem
is that large signals in ear-insensitive frequencies can
be modulated to small signals in ear-sensitive frequencies.

Within this environment, simply broadcasting a strobe signal
is insufficient. The delay in this signal is variable and can
deviate from its nominal (near zero) value by frameSize*count,
where count is the number of bridges in the path.

The problem with such frame-sized deviations is that they are
not just "noise" within the home, and hence not easily filtered.
In fact, heartbeat-like signals are likely to cause delays with
significant harmonic content.

With the Internet, more success with frequency jitter is possible,
due to the wide range of traffic (and hence) its relatively
wideband (read effectively filtered) statistics. Not in the home.

Fortunately, the 1588-like techniques allow the jitter to be
reduced to PHY-fifo-size (as opposed to max-frame-size) numbers.

Actually, with some PHY-implementation support, even bit-sized
jitter delays are achievable (although unlikely to be mandated
by an RE specification).

This discussion, of course, is with respect to the end-point
clocks in A/D and D/A converters. Data delivery requirements
are much less stringent and certainly will be on the order
of multiple max-frames.

Cheers,
David V. James