Re: [RE] Latencies through RE cables (better URL)

Kevin,

>> I've looked at the scenarios in the paper. I have a couple comments.
>>
>> 1/ No headphone scenarios are considered. A DJ or singer wearing
>> headphones
>> is the most critical case I'm aware of with respect to latency.
>> Delays above
>> 0.5ms are audible and, in many cases, objectionable in this
>> scenario. This
>> sort of headphone monitoring is routinely used in home studio recording
>> (section 1.3.2) and even by some geeky garage musicians (section 1.3.3).

Good points. Could you sketch out the scenario that you want illustrated?
Or, could we simply replace the speaker/air/ear with headphones/ear?

>> 2/ I question whether a 5ms processing delay is achievable
>> through a PC as shown in figure 1.3. The PC architecture was not designed
>> for real-time processing. Delay through a PC is certainly greater than
15ms
>> and can reach
>> 100ms and beyond. As such, some musicians find it unacceptable
>> to run their
>> monitors through the PC; they use external gear to bypass the PC during
>> tracking. Others, baulk at the cost of the external gear, and learn to
>> perform well despite the latency.

Good point. While its theoretically possible to be low latency, reality
is more like you specify. I'll chat with a few others this afternoon,
to sense what is thought appropriate. Its certainly true that a professional
mixer is designed for low latency; a PC is not but can make do...

DVJ
David V. James