Re: [RE] Grand master identifier

Arthur,

It is definitely the case that many things become easy with over
provisioning and simple QOS. However, the term "over provisioning" has
two key elements: "over" implies that you must set a level of usage that
is not exceeded. This may be 75% of link b/w as has been suggested, it
may be lower to enable better statistical behavior. In any case, there
is a level at which "over" is no longer satisfied. Secondly there is
"provisioning." There needs to be a mechanism to guarantee that the QOS
will work as required. This generally takes the form of admission
control and/or policing.

Personally, I believe that the existing standards for provisioning,
admission control, policing and QOS could be implemented easily and
cheaply in a residential environment. If this is not the case, then
proof should be presented to make a case for new standards. Either way,
I think there is a need for some architectural specification to ensure
that RE products have appropriate capabilities to allow plug in and go
operation.

Hugh. < speaking strictly for myself >