Re: [RE] Grand master identifier ==>(evolved to) overprovisioning

Hugh,

Thanks for insightful throughs. We certainly agree on
plug-and-go/plug-and-play(:>), as opposed to plug-and-pray(:<).

>> Personally, I believe that the existing standards for provisioning,
>> admission control, policing and QOS could be implemented easily and
>> cheaply in a residential environment.

Which ones, in particular, and how would they be used?
Its hard to test such an hypothesis, without reference material
and assumptions.

>> If this is not the case, then proof should be presented to make
>> a case for new standards.

Assuming 75% time-sensitive traffic with arbitrary topology
and loading (subject the the aforementioned 75% rule), then
I believe proofs are contained within "Annex G" of:
  http://www.ieee802.org3/re_study/material/index.html

>> Either way, I think there is a need for some architectural
>> specification to ensure that RE products have appropriate
>> capabilities to allow plug in and go operation.

Agreed! Although some of us use the term plug-and-play.
I assume (correct me if not) that these mean the same thing.

DVJ

David V. James
3180 South Ct
Palo Alto, CA 94306